Obsolete computer discs, etc.

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 07:53:30 CDT 2015

On 26 April 2015 at 16:48, Bob Rickard <bob at warriston.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> While turning out my attic I unearthed obsolete *discs for a 1980s Amstrad
> computer *which has long been disposed of.  One disc is, as far as I know,
> in mint condition but a further twelve contain programmes. Another six discs
> contain long forgotten person data which I can't access.  I am intrigued to
> know what they contain.  Also in my searches I have found a *Microsoft Works
> manual* complete with system discs, and an *Amstrad user's manual*.  Also
> about a*dozen 5" discs* containing stock records of warehouse long
> demolished. Again, I am curious to see what I recorded 30 years ago.
>
> I am reluctant to consign these items to the dustbin if a) the discs can be
> deciphered, and b) they are are of use to someone else.  Your organisation
> has been suggested as a possible home for at least some of these items.  Are
> they of interest?  If not, do you know any organisation that might be?

If they are 5.25" floppies, then they are from Amstrad's 1980s PC
clones -- the PC1512 or the PC1640. These ran MS-DOS or DR DOS-Plus,
with the optional GEM graphical user interface.

Both OSes share a disk format -- standard 360 kB MS-DOS FAT12 disks.

Even a modern PC will read them fine if you hook up an old 5.25" drive
to them. (Assuming it has a floppy controller, of course.)