Visual Basic Question

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Tue Apr 21 09:33:26 CDT 2015

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015, Douglas Taylor wrote:

> I have a software driver for an old scientific instrument that is described
> in a brief manual this way:
>
> "The acquisition driver is a tool that allows developers to write their own
> Windows based programs that
> can acquire data from any Michelson series spectrometer. The programs can be
> developed with any
> programming environment that supports calling standard Windows 16bit DLLs.
> Examples of such
> environments are Visual Basic and Visual C++ from Microsoft ( up to version
> 1.5 ), Delphi and C++
> from Borland, Labview from National instruments. This document assumes that
> the reader is familiar
> with all the concepts surrounding DLLs and Windows programming. It is a
> reference guide that explains
> the parameters of the functions that make up the Bomem acquisition driver and
> how they are used to
> acquire data."
>
> I recently purchased Visual Basic 4.0 Standard Edition, but the first pages
> of the reference indicate that it is a 32 bit only version.
>
> Which version of Visual Basic will allow me to call this driver?

Doug, you should be able to use VB6 for that - you can call a DLL from
just about any programming language on Windows.  Does it give you any
example code to work with?  Is there a scan of the manual available?

If you're not familiar with VB, I'd be happy to help you get it sorted.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007