TRS-80 Model 1 Monitor

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 8 23:57:43 CDT 2015

> I have finally managed to get my hands on a TRS-80 Model 1. Trouble is, it
> came without a monitor. I have been doing some searching to see if I can
> find out what kind of monitor it is and I am left unsure. All I have found
> so far is a statement which says it is a TV without a tuner. I am not sure
> what that means. I still have a CRT TV, can that be made to work, or have I
> bought something that I can't use?

Did you get the PSU brick? That is a little harder (but only a little) to replicate?

The TRS-80 M1 drives a normal [1] composite video monitor. The original one was an RCA
portable TV that had had the tuner, etc, removed, but there is no reason why you have to
use that. I am sure you have something that will work.

[1] OK, US scan rates. 15770Hz horizontal, 60Hz vertical. But I've yet to find a composite
monochrome monitor that can't be tweaked to do both US and European rates.

The only trick is the video output connector on the M1. It's a 5 pin DIN socket. The
connections are :

1 :  +5V
4 :  Composite video
2 ;  N/C
5 : Ground
3 : N/C

And of course the pins are numbered in that order on the connector/

-tony