Fwd: is there any word processing software for the pdp11?

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Sun Nov 30 22:53:40 CST 2014

On Nov 30, 2014 6:10 PM, "Jacob Ritorto" <jacob.ritorto at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, but troff is too hard.  I need something at least like emacs.  Or
> preferably like wordstar.  Guess I need to check out this LEX-11.

Hm, that's an interesting statement.  Troff is much like LaTeX: a markup
language for formatting.  Emacs is an editor that doesn't give a wet slap
about formatting beyond basic line structure.  I use Emacs to write and
LaTeX to produce layout.

But neither Emacs (originally EMACS, "eight megabytes and continuously
swapping") nor LaTeX is ever going to run on a PDP-11.  I'm not familiar
with LEX-11, but why not get a PDP-8 and run WPS-8?  :-)

Just what is it you're trying to accomplish?  The phrase "I need something
like..." leads me to think you have a particular goal in mind, and if we
knew what that was it might help us offer suggestions.  Cheers -- Ian