foam in DEC SBB drives, ok to remove?

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sat Nov 29 10:51:50 CST 2014

Get that F'ing foam out of there!!

Not only does it get crumbly, there is sometimes an intermediate stage
where it smells like vinegar, and is a strong acid.

When my best friend was alive, he stored his camera stuff in airtight
cases in foam.
After his death, I went through what was left of his stuff.

One case had a Visoflex, bellows, and a Leitz Tele-Elmarit 180mm M
Visoflex mount lens.  250 of those were made.  One in decent shape goes
for $2K.  His was brand-new, quite possibly the last, and only one in
perfect shape.  The foam ATE into the barrel of the lens, destroying all
collector value.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com