KL-10B in DEC-20 [was RE: Who's rewired their house for this hobby?]

John Wilson wilson at dbit.com
Wed Nov 26 19:52:52 CST 2014

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 01:17:52AM +0000, Rich Alderson wrote:
>I briefly had it running on MIT-AI (the KS, not the KA) in 2009 on an RM03,
>but the CRAM died and we haven't had the cycles available to do something
>about that.  It's on deck for next year.

I heard (from Don Lewine) that the flakiness of the 93L415 SRAMs led to
the KS's only patent.  Even supposedly working CRAM boards get parity errors
often enough that it's worth having the front end stop everything to reload
the CRAM from disk, and maybe the system will live through it.

>(Yes, MIT-AI.  We purchased it from CZ, who rescued it from the AILab skip,
> then from the Symbolics skip, then eventually sold it on eBay when he had
> to.  It still has the MIT de-acquisition sticker on the front panel.  It's
> next to the Toad-1 in the computer room.)

Wicked cool!  Guess that machine has 11' lives.

John Wilson (JOHNW at AI)