Yay, now I need some Osborne boot media!

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 17:28:59 CST 2014

On 11/24/2014 02:11 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> One of the easier methods of crossing the old-new divide is to replace or
> add a 3.5" floppy drive to the XT and use 2D (not high-density) media to
> exchange.

How obtainable is DD 3.5" media these days? I've seen precisely *one* disk
in the last seven years, which suggests that it's rather rare, at least
locally. I've not searched online with an intention of buying any, though;
I'm just surprised that it's not still relatively common in thruft* stores
etc. in the form of used disks (after all, there were plenty of machines
such as the Amiga using them which were still around into the '90s)

* typo, but I like it - a thrift store that sells cruft.

>  Leave the other 5.25" floppy where it is.  Of course, you'll
> need the header-to-edge adapter and the power cable adapter, but AFAIK,
> they're still available--as well as drive bracket adapters.

More modern early-Pentium PCs which have a "full" floppy cable - even if
they only have a 3.5" drive fitted - seem to be around still, albeit in
small numbers; I've grabbed a few from local Freecycle lists, Facebook
groups etc. OP may get lucky and find a suitable power adapter that way, too.

cheers

Jules