Yay, now I need some Osborne boot media!

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Mon Nov 24 17:05:18 CST 2014

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> That one had me puzzled as well.  In terms of *labeling*, some
> manufacturers DID label their media as single- or double-density, which
> to me means nothing more than they were verified using that particular
> modulation.
> Much the same situation exists for 5.25" media labeled "48 tpi", "96
> tpi" or "100 tpi".

Verification with the same modulation as it would eventually be used with
would seem to provide marginally better trustworthiness.

Similarly, single sided and double sided disks were the same cookie, just
not necessarily "guaranteed" for the second side.

BUT, there were RUMORS that SOME manufacturers had high failure rates;
so high that they tested both sides of the cookie.
If both sides passed, then they sold them as "double sided".
If only one side passed, they flipped to the correct side, and sold it as
"Single sided".
If neither side passed, then they sold the cookie to Wabash.
I'm sure that Wabash denied using other manufacturers dumpster content.