Yay, now I need some Osborne boot media!

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 19:44:24 CST 2014

On 11/23/2014 07:31 PM, Fred Cisin wrote:
> IFF you have the "double density" upgrade of the Osborne, (was the Vixen
> one of those?) then disks are writable with a PC with 360K drive, but are
> NOT the same format as Kaypro nor Epson.

Some PCs will write SD, of course, although I think far fewer will write SD
and 128 byte sectors.

> Does the Osborne use a "standard" SA400 interface?  If so, then a 720K
> 3.5" could be cabled into it.  (or a 3", or a 3.25", . . . )

I don't know about the Vixen. The OCC1 uses what seem to be stock drive
chassis but with custom logic boards that get power over the same cable as
data. I get the impression that there's nothing special about the
signaling, though, and so it's likely possible to run different drives
(which would include 3.x" units) if a suitable adapter were to be wired up.

cheers

Jules