Osborne Vixen - Zenith 7" display t-shooting issues

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 02:56:05 CST 2014

Good News, everyone! ;-)

 The Osborne Vixen 7" display has been repaired.. And our friend Chuck has
earned not one, but two gold stars in the process.

To be fair, it's one of those situations wherein if I'd had an appropriate
replacement part on-hand, it would all have been over in the first few
hours.. because it turns out that the dang horiz. opt. transistor WAS the
culprit all along! It had some kind of thermal fault, that made it give up
the ghost as the current began to flow in earnest.

Per Chuck's suggestion, I picked up (10) MJE13007 transistors from an eBay
vendor - cost was less than $5 USD all-done. This was less than the cost of
a single NTE 379 - the part that allegedly crossed to the mystery Zenith
1070 item.

The packet arrived today, and I wasted no time installing one of the 13007s
in place of the original Horizontal Output transistor - a Zenith part
marked "1007". Anyway, the display came right up, looking great, and the
new HOT runs very, very cool - maybe a 10 degree rise over ambient?

So far, so good. A big round of thanks to Chuck, and everyone else who
added some useful info to the thread. Thing is, I still have qty. 9 of
these 13007 parts sitting around - would anyone like to have a spare or two
on the shelf?