Who's rewired their house for this hobby?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Nov 22 18:25:02 CST 2014

On 11/22/2014 02:56 PM, Peter Corlett wrote:

> On this side of the Pond, everything is already nominally 230V and all UK
> sockets are good for 13A :)

I note that the higher-power vacuum cleaners ("hoovers") are being
limited in the UK.  I was always envious of those.  A typical "high
power" vac here is 1200W.  NEC (our electrical code) says that corded
appliances may not draw more than 80% of the rated load capacity of a
non-dedicated circuit.  For most US homes, standard wall receptacles are
15A/120V, so that limits the draw by any individual appliance to 12A.
The section (210.23(A)(1)).is a bit more complicated than that, but you
get the idea.

On the other hand, we aren't troubled with ring mains.  There's also no
danger of using a 13A plug fuse for a table lamp--we don't need no
stinking plug fuses!

--Chuck