Who's rewired their house for this hobby?

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Fri Nov 21 21:26:03 CST 2014

On 11/21/2014 06:57 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> So, who has run 3-phase to power their MG set and HVAC for
> their mainframe?  Extra points for chilled water and even
> more for a cooling tower for said water.
>
> --Chuck

Well, I had a friend who bought a pair of 370/145's and had
them in his house.
He wanted to get one running, but only had 60 A 240 V
service.  We tried, HARD,
to build a phase converter to run the 17 KVA MG set.  IBM
apparently used the
same MG set for a range of 370 models, and the one on the
145 was VERY
oversized.  The DC load of the CPU was pretty much 290 A at
4.5 V, or about
1.5 KW.  The idling current of the MG set was totally
insane, even with a
phase correcting capacitor bank it was still over the rating
of the whole
panel.

Jon