mainframes and other stuff

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Fri Nov 21 10:29:32 CST 2014

On 11/21/14 7:21 AM, David Schmidt wrote:
> if the scrapper teamed up with a curator, a lot of money could be made, and a lot of valuable stuff could be saved
> from actually being scrapped.  Shame.

And from my dealing with scrappers for decades, as Will said, they won't waste their time with the small-time collectors
that hang out here. If you aren't talking thousands of dollars, and big lots, you don't play. Anything less is chump change
that they may put some flunky on trying to sell on eBay. Witness what happened with Sellam's collection for the past two
years. They screwed around with it trying to find someone to buy the whole thing, spent six months with truckloads at the
DeAnza flea market, then dumped the rest.

What I'm seeing more of now is just collectors selling between each other, with prices slowly ratcheting up on desirable
pieces, and most of the rest getting scrapped.