Netronics Phoneme generator info

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Nov 9 19:29:58 CST 2014

Mouse <mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG> skrev: (9 november 2014 23:38:16 CET)
>>> With no UART, I guess it bit-bangs the serial protocol (I am
>>> surprised there's no CDP1854 on the board).  [...]
>
>> Well, going by the doc which Francis posted, it expects a
>> carriage-return character to be sent by the controlling device at
>> power-up, and it automagically adjusts the baud rate.  I'm a little
>> skeptical about that (because hard configuration of line parameters
>> is typical with serial hardware), but I don't know enough about RS232
>> comms to say how plausible/reliable it is.
>
>If it's bit-banged, I find it plausible; taking a highly oversampled CR
>character and deducing the effective divisor from it is relatively
>easy.

Meh. Auto baud detection has been around a long time. Easy to with uarts as well. I think all DEC OSes can do it. You basically just set a fairly high speed on the port and read. You get a character and have a lookup table for the different speeds. That table is populated by sending in CR at the different speeds and pick the results.

>> What the docs don't state is the other expected line parameters -
>> data bits, parity, stop bits, so I'm completely in the dark there.
>
>Back in the '80s, I played with a Votrax-branded speech synth.  Based
>on rather fuzzy memory from that, you want 8N1 or 701 - IIRC the
>protocol stuck to ASCII, in which case 8N and 70 are equivalent.

8N1 would actually be the same as 7S1, but depending on the software many variants could work.
7O will set the high bit for some characters.

Update (computer club) used to have a Votrax, which I had hooked up to a pdp-11. We should still have it, as well as the manual somwhere.

  Johnny

--
Skickat från min Android-telefon med K-9 E-post. Ursäkta min fåordighet.