IBM 5151 (MDA display) - common faults / gotchas?

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Sun Nov 9 04:19:28 CST 2014

On 2014-Nov-08, at 9:03 PM, drlegendre . wrote:
> Hey Brent,
>
> I guess I'm still confused.. and for the purposes of my inquiry &
> discussion, let's stick to what's going on with the Osborne / Zenith setup
> - OK?
>
> It sounds like you're saying that the horiz. osc. in the Zenith monitor is
> synced in both phase & frequency to the horiz. input signal provided by the
> computer motherboard. But if the horiz. signal were to disappear for some
> reason, the osc. would continue to run... is that correct?

That would be the idea, you'd still have HiV, and you'd still have some semblance of a ..raster.

> So if the osc. continued to run in absence of the horiz. signal, how would
> it stay on-frequency?

> And much more importantly -  If it's capable of
> setting its own operating frequency, how does the horiz. signal input
> override that?

Speaking vaguely, each sync pulse restarts the oscillator to the beginning of a cycle.
But the free-running F of the oscillator should be near the target F so that the sync pulse only has to 'pull' it a little ways (in time).
When you adjust the H-sync control of an (old) TV/monitor you're adjusting the H oscillator F, to bring it into the capture range of the sync control.
Electronically, it can be accomplished in a number of manners, from a simple 'reset' of some sort to PLL style phase detection.

> And why didn't Osborne "trust" their hardware to provide a
> horiz. signal - while IBM and (as you say) Commodore PET clearly did -
> ultimately, what did this amount to, if anything?

Might be just a matter of who they sourced the monitor from.
It was the beginning of the period of transition from 'TVs' to 'computer monitors'.
There are some other benefits to having the raster and HiV there when sync is lost, such as the visible raster may give some clues as to a problem.

In the Zenith case, how much difference is there between a 555 astable and monostable? (A: not much).

> Sorry for so many dumb questions. Oh, and here's another.. about the
> meaning of 'raster'.
>
> When we talk about  the presence or lack of a /raster/, do we mean the
> 'lighted rectangle' on the CRT screen? Or is the raster the horiz & vert
> travelling beam that 'paints' the lighted rectangle? I ask, as some video
> t-shooting guides have determiners like "Raster present / No raster?". I
> ask, as I was taught that the scanning beam itself is the 'raster'.. but it
> seems more like the evidence of that beam - a lighted rectangle - is what's
> actually meant.

I've always taken raster to mean, as you say, the lighted rectangle, drawn by an electron beam in a progressive line by line scan.

The mere presence of a drawing beam would encompass many/all other types of CRT displays besides raster displays.