Hard To Believe This Person Is Serious

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 26 04:11:06 CDT 2021

On 26/03/2021 08:24, Peter Corlett via cctalk wrote:
> Assuming anything gets shipped at all. Perhaps they don't want to take
> money
> from anybody too local who might cause them some grief.
Well eBay will want the seller to make a refund if the buyer complains,
and location doesn't make any difference there. In fact it would make
return postage more expensive (at the seller's expense). For a drive of
this quality, as a seller, you'd celarly want it back if the transaction
went pear-shaped :-)
> I note they ask £260.00 for "Economy Delivery (Economy Int'l Postage)" to
> the Netherlands "between Wed. 31 Mar. and Fri. 16 Apr". That's quite the
> markup on a bit of bubblewrap, a Jiffy bag, and a €7 stamp.

I think I'd want a tiny bit more wrapping for a hard drive than just a
bit of bubblewrap. I know SCAN and eBuyer do just bubblewrap them, wrap
a mailer around them and send them off, but when I sold drives on eBay I
always sent them out in a foam-padded box with a cut-out. Then again I
had access to those for nothing and I wasn't sending out hundreds a day.

I do have some RD5x drives and I'd probably want to shift the excess
(assuming there is any excess after I get around to testing them!) but
I'd be really reluctant to ship those at all. I have no idea how much
shock-proofing they would need to withstand the 1.5m drop that the
parcel carriers all quote!

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini