Spelunking the places where files are not

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Mar 6 19:20:56 CST 2021

On 3/5/21 6:41 AM, John Foust via cctalk wrote:

> After thinking about disk imaging tools like Greaseweasel,
> I started thinking about tools that would grab and examine the unused
> portions of disks.

The data forensics folks are at least 20 years ahead of you, John!
They're interested in *everything* on disk, active or not.

More than 30 years ago, I posted a utility for MSDOS floppies called
"SEEJUNK".  It was very revealing what could be found on manufacturers'
disks.  To be fair, I also wrote a companion utility to clean the stuff
out called PRUNE.

It wasn't long after that when vendors were made aware of the issue and
took action fast.

--Chuck