Spelunking the places where files are not

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Mar 5 13:24:30 CST 2021

Three obvious possibilites for tools to help:
1) A program that makes a single large file out of all unallocated blocks,
for later study and breaak-up in an editor.

2) A prograam that makes a separate file out of each unallocated block,
for later study and appending in an editor.

3) An INTERACTIVE program that displays a block, with the option of
ignoring, or making a file out of it, and then, for each subsequent block
provides the option to Ignore, Append it to one of the existing files, or
Create a new file from it.

Ideally, it should have a clue about likely sequence of blocks, including
interleave and side patterns.

ALthough a variety of algorithms could ASSIST with whether a given block
is LIKELY to be a continuation of the previous block, few could work
stand-alone as well as a human operator.
Among the possibilities are seeing ASCII (or other) code at the end of one
block and the beginning of another ("looking for half a worm in the
apple")

The same tools are also useful when the DIRectory or other file system
information is destroyed, or completely unknown.

I had a client who was overjoyed when I gave him a few hundred files,
which he proceeded to printout and he and his staff manually sorted and
rearranged the printouts by looking at their content.  We then looked at
the sequences of the file numbers and appended files accordingly.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com