PIC programmers? More generic programmer? Port?

Dennis Boone drb at msu.edu
Wed Mar 3 12:47:58 CST 2021

 > Any gotchas with the PICKit-3 clones out there? I have the feeling
 > that sticking with PIC would be better than trying to port to
 > Arduino, and imagine that as things continue to age there will be
 > more applications for interfaces. Any better but still cheapish
 > alternatives for programming?

IIRC the PK-3 doesn't get any new device support at this point.
Existing stuff continues to work.  Depending on the nature of the
devices you might want to use in the future, it might be worth
considering a PK-4.

I actually do very little PIC stuff, so I can't speak to which devices,
how Microchip removes support from their software, etc. and recommend
salt grains here.

De