APL\360

wrcooke at wrcooke.net wrcooke at wrcooke.net
Sat Jan 30 11:47:37 CST 2021

> On 01/30/2021 11:42 AM Bill Gunshannon via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> > Modern Visual Studio and GCC both flag the "=" in a condition, I believe. But if you're shipping code with 260+ warnings, who would see one more.
> And the problem here is really quite plain and simple.
> Why are you shipping code with any warnings?

The short answer, as I replied earlier, is that they deemed the code too fragile to touch.  When I told them I removed the warnings they said to put them back or I would likely be fired.

> > There's a pretty good chance the heat pump you're using right now has those warnings. Alas...
> Just because some other programmer is an idiot doesn't mean I have
> to be.

They only wanted idiots.  So I immediately started looking for another job.  I might be an idiot, but I don't want to be associated with the rest of them :-)

Will

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein