APL\360

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Jan 29 17:29:33 CST 2021

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021, wrcooke at wrcooke.net wrote:
> That's exactly what I did and was then told I was likely to get fired for
> it.  I left that job soon after.
> "A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -- Albert
> Einstein

Similarly, "You don't have time to write comments as you go along.  You
can go back and add them in AFTER the program is working."  Of course, as
soon as it "seems to be working", "We're not paying you to mess with stuff
that's already DONE.  We have ANOTHER project that you have to get on
immediately."

It's not good to be in a job where they won't let you be thorough in error
checking nor let you write comments.

And, of course, "Don't waste space with more than two decimal digits for
year.  NOTHING that we are doing now will still be in use 30 years from
now."

One of the tasks that I was assigned (working for a contractor at GSFC)
was to work on converting a wall of punch-card subroutines for plotting on
Calcomp plotters that needed to be changed to work on Stromberg-Carlson
(later Stromberg Datagraphics).  It was budgeted for a LONG project to
rewrite all of them.  I realized that all of the subroutines for Calcomp
called lower and lower level routines, on down to a small number of
primitives.  It was easy to write primitives for those lowest level ones,
that worked on the SC/SD.  I got some help with the JCL to link my
primitives to the routines for the Calcomps.  All of the routines for
Calcomp worked fine calling their lower level routines, and ultimately
calling MY primitives.  The company got a small bonus for getting it all
done way sooner than planned, and I got a private major reprimand for
getting it all done way sooner than it was budgeted for.  Many others
earned bonuses for the company.  The company distributed the bonuses as
BIG bonuses to upper executives (I think that the top guy got a car), and
gave each of us a gift certificate/coupon for a turkey.