APL\360

ben bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Fri Jan 29 13:52:08 CST 2021

On 1/29/2021 8:19 AM, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 at 13:11, Peter Corlett via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> It is *also* the use of symbols. Firstly, some people are just symbol-blind
>> and prefer stuff spelled out in words. It's just how brains are wired.
>
> Agreed. I submit this is also why some people find Lisp (and perhaps
> Forth and Postscript) straightforward, while to others it remains
> ineffable.

Symbols I can live with. I can never remember them but that is not the
point. ^\# is lot better than to say "invert matrix on diagonal".
  I like words because they tend to mean one thing,
not like Icons that imply something but never tell you just what.
In Car ~~  is that windshield wipers, flashing lights, or parking brake?
GUI's are more a problem, they change every software revision. You can't
use the online help, because you can't find where they moved it to in
the menu, if can find the new menu.

Still annoyed at ASCII removing the -> (arrow) to something else.
you could write a+3 -> c leaving = for equal.
Why they needed all those control characters defined, but nobody used them?
Ben.