Modifying a RXV21 for an 11/83

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Sun Jan 24 20:11:38 CST 2021

Ok. My guess is it throws off the cache on the 11/73 and above as it
works in an 11/23 (which is soooooo slow!).

I looked at the images, cut the traces, then soldered in two of the
wires. Board did not work on either the 11/83 or the 11/23+ CPU. However
when I looked closer I saw the tiny little wire down by the crystal and
the Q bus fingers. Put that in, and the board now works on the 11/23+,
will take the whole thing apart (again) and plug in the 11/83.

Fortunately I have the pdp11/83 configured with a Q bus memory board
(2-4mb) and a PMI memory board from an 11/84 placed in slot 2 (so the
11/83 will access it as Q Bus memory). Thus I could pull the 11/83 CPU
in slot 1 and pop the 11/23+ in. Aside from the exceptionally slower
speed and long boot times it works pretty well for testing.

Still need to get a 11/83 compatible PMI board, but the 11/84 ones work
as normal Q bus memory.

Thanks! Now I can read some of these RX02 disks and image them. I'm
guessing my BRU floppy that I generated with the RXV11 controller will
not boot on this RXV21 controller so I'll have to re-make that. And so
far it doesn't look like the disks made on that third party MXV21
controller are compatible with the RX02, should they be?

Chris