Compuserve

James B DiGriz jbdigriz at dragonsweb.org
Tue Jan 12 09:56:23 CST 2021

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 00:25:30 -0600
Jason T via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 6:46 PM John Foust via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote
> >
> >  From '85 until '94 or so, I saved my transcripts from visiting
> > CompuServe, PeopleLink, Delphi, Genie, BIX, the Well, etc.
> >

> This is an incredible archive on its own.  Are you willing to share
> the source files?  I'd enjoy just wandering through the raw data.
> It's probably been over 30 years since I've even seen the CIS forum
> message format (not counting a few moments ago, of course.)
>
> -j

I agree with John that some curation will be in order here before
making stuff public accessible. And he's right that building the
database would be the first order of business. Reasonably
straightforward to bolt different interfaces to that.

I'm kicking myself right now because I had forgotten that archive.org
hosts a web interface to an (incomplete) archive of the Compuserve web
forums. I think this is based on the archiveteam emergency scrape of
2017. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. There is also a 64GB tranche of
raw SC-40 and SCSI FE disk images on IA. And like I said there
are bits and pieces here and there. Some of the CIS TI file libraries
are on whtech, for instance.

Something people could easily add to would be great.

jbdigriz