ICL PERQ 2 T2 Micropolis 1303 spinning down.

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 09:16:59 CST 2021

Den lör 2 jan. 2021 kl 19:34 skrev David Gesswein via cctech <
cctech at classiccmp.org>:

> This is my info on RD53 sticking heads. Your symtoms match what I have seen
> with this drive.
>
> If the heads are stuck to the rubber bumper the drive will spin back down
> when it finds the heads won't move. It will also spin down if it can't
> switch from the coarse speed control loop to using the head servo signal.
> There is a narrow band where the heads are parked with the proper signal.
> When the rubber has deteriorated the heads are no longer over it. Adding
> shims
> can fix that. I used a tent with RK05 filter but others have opened drives
> in reasonably clean locations sucessfully. Best to keep the pets away.

The "shim" method worked fine. The drive spun up and I managed to dump it.
Imade six dumps and the same five sectors were bad on every read I did. So
now I have a nice dump of the PERQ 2 system. Wonder what it is on it?

I see things like :

! LoadDisk.Cmd
! Copyright (C) 1983, 1984 - Perq Systems Corporation.
! Abstract:
!   Load version G.6 of POS onto the hard disk.

so there is some PERQ stuff there at least.