ICL PERQ 2 T2 Micropolis 1303 spinning down.

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 11:51:42 CST 2021

Den lör 2 jan. 2021 kl 19:34 skrev David Gesswein via cctech <
cctech at classiccmp.org>:

> This is my info on RD53 sticking heads. Your symtoms match what I have seen
> with this drive.
>
> If the heads are stuck to the rubber bumper the drive will spin back down
> when it finds the heads won't move. It will also spin down if it can't
> switch from the coarse speed control loop to using the head servo signal.
> There is a narrow band where the heads are parked with the proper signal.
> When the rubber has deteriorated the heads are no longer over it. Adding
> shims
> can fix that. I used a tent with RK05 filter but others have opened drives
> in reasonably clean locations sucessfully. Best to keep the pets away.
>
> http://www.pdp8online.com/rd53/rd53.shtml
>
> Shim picture.
> http://www.pdp8online.com/rd53/pics/lock.shtml?small

Thanks. Good advice and good prictures! Need to find some material that
makes a good shim then. It will be very interesting if this solves the
problem. I wonder if the other symptom I saw where the drive kept spinning
while the head was moving back and forth also is related to the first? It
didn't sound like full seeks but rather quite short. The drive kept doing
this for maybe one minute and then spun down.

/Mattis