ICL PERQ 2 T2 Micropolis 1303 spinning down.

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Sat Jan 2 07:02:56 CST 2021

I am dealing with this a *lot* with all these disks from Bob's basement.
The problems seem to be three categories:

1) Disk does not spin up at all. So far it's all been sticking motors,
they don't have a lot of start up torque at all. For the first 4 disks
(ST412, Quantum 30mb, and two ST506) I was able to remove the bottom
board, turn the disks manually (clockwise) while applying power to spin
them up. The motor will start to turn, then as you continue to spin it
with your finger it will go faster as the oils distribute themselves.

Note: I need to figure out how/if I can oil drive motor bearings without
opening them or ruining the seal.

2) Stepper/coil motors are stuck. This is easier to deal with on the
ST412,Quantum,ST506 drives as there is literally an arm on the side you
can move. These can be oiled externally if needed.

On the RD53, the heads were stuck internally, what I did was unlock the
heads manually (open bottom panel and turn the locking cam) while
tapping the drive on the side with the palm of my hand. This could work,
but hit it too hard or sharp and you will crash the heads. Maybe I could
use the rubber hammer.

3) Controller board caught fire and exploded. Yes, this burned my rug
with flying debris, it can happen. Have a fire extinguisher handy.

I am thinking of building a small dust free space to open the tops of
other drives. Not sure if this is an immediate death sentence, a lot of
these drives have filters inside that could probably handle one or two
openings worth of dust, but man that is an edge case. In the old days I
built a tent over my RM03 disk and counted on its absolute air filter,
but I don't think I can do that with RL02's as the fan for the absolute
air is also the disk spindle motor....

Then again the Diablo 44 is always running the fan but I haven't found a
source of air filters for that yet (unlike the RL02).

Hm.

CZ