Emails going to spam folder in gmail

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Fri Jan 1 17:24:33 CST 2021

On 1/1/21 2:24 PM, Peter Coghlan via cctalk wrote:
> You misunderstand.  What is Gmail / Google specific about it is
> that this is going on for nearly 5 years using the same recipient
> mailbox because it is so far impossible to let Google know about it
> so that Google can can delete the mailbox being used to receive the
> results of the relay testing which would force the spammer create a
> new receiving mailbox nearly every time they test.

Does "Joe Job" mean anything to you?

> Similar probing using receiving mailboxes on other major email
> providers systems does not last last more than a day or two before
> the mailboxes get deleted after mail admins reported them.

Does "Whack-a-Mole" mean anything to you?

> Anyone who tries to do that will rapidly find out that it does not
> work and they certainly won't have to wait 5 years to find it out.

If Google is not the /source/ of the spam, there is approximately
nothing that they can or will do.  Especially if their mailbox user is
not complaining.

After all, unless you can prove that their mailbox user is doing
something against terms of service while using Google's infrastructure,
they have no grounds to do anything.

If 100 different companies send me junk (snail) mail that I then burn as
a source of heat during the winter, does that mean that I'm causing the
problem?

> There most certainly is something that Google can do.  They can
> cancel the mailbox that is being used to receive the results of the
> relay testing, provided it is possible to let Google know that the
> mailbox is being abused that is.  I just don't have that difficulty
> with other major email providers.

What is the mailbox doing that is against Google's terms of service?

Especially if the email originates completely outside of Google's systems.

> Mike reports in another reply that he has unearthed a possible
> mechanism to let Google know what is happening so maybe the problem
> has is becoming soluble now.  It will be interesting to see if the
> mechanism he found works.

I suggest that you not hold your breath.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die