Emails going to spam folder in gmail

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Fri Jan 1 13:28:37 CST 2021

On 1/1/21 6:43 AM, Peter Coghlan via cctalk wrote:
> My issue with Google and evil is that they provide no way that I can
> find to bring abuse of Google facilites (to send spam for example)
> to their attention so that the abuse can be stopped.  For example,
> someone has been testing my mail server to see if it can be used to
> relay spam by forging emails as coming from various email addresses in
> my domain name and addressed to check212014 at gmail.com and attempting
> to feed these emails into my mail server (which doesn't accept them)
> from compromised ip addresses.  This has happened nearly two hundred
> times over a period of five years now.  I have made numerous attempts
> to bring this to the attention of Google so that they could put a
> stop to this check212014 mailbox being used for this abusive purpose
> yet I have failed.  You seem to have the magic touch.  Can you let
> me know how to bring this to Google's attention?

What you describe is a well known spam tactic and is not Gmail -> Google
specific.  It is hoping to abuse a questionable setting of allowing
relay based on source domain, e.g. they are hoping that messages
purportedly from your domain will be allowed to relay through your
server(s).

Aside:  This is exactly why you should not allow relay based on the
purported source domain.

If the IPs perpetrating this attack are outside of Google's control,
then there really is nothing that Google can do.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die