FW: List your old computer

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Wed Feb 24 18:48:57 CST 2021

On 02/24/2021 06:01 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> On 2/24/21 3:11 PM, Pete Turnbull via cctalk wrote:
>> On 24/02/2021 23:02, stan via cctalk wrote:
>>> By any chance, are you thinking of uptimes.net?
>>> Some years ago (early 2000's?) it was tracking systems uptimes. I had
>>> an Alpha  system talking to it at one time.
>>>
>>> IIRC, the record at one time was a VAX cluster, with an uptime of
>>> 1200+ days. Windows NT systems fared a lot worse, average of about 40
>>> some days....
> A modern MCU running Linux with battery backup could beat that easily.
>
> And probably be faster than the VAX.
>
> How far we've come...

Faster?  The only comparison I have is between my KA630-AA
and my current desktop (Dell Optiplex 980) running Ubuntu.
It seems to be almost 1000 X faster.  I have a program that
records environmental data every 15 seconds.  Then, there
are programs that condense and summarize the data.  The
whole run at the end of the year used to take about 30
minutes.  It runs in about 5 SECONDS on the PC.  (Yes, I
know, only 360 X.)

Jon