archive of DEC Notes

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Feb 24 14:27:46 CST 2021

> On Feb 24, 2021, at 9:08 AM, Antonio Carlini via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 24/02/2021 03:26, Eric Smith via cctalk wrote:
>> Does anyone have contact information for the proprietor of this site:
>>         http://www.activityclub.org/decnotes/
>> The site has an index of messages archived from DEC's internal "Notes"
>> (kind of their equivalent of UseNet).
>>
>> It appears from the "Download this site" page that at one time it was
>> possible to download an archive of the actual content, but the hosting used
>> for that only provides one week of free hosting, which has expired.
>>
>> I don't need the entire archive (though I'd like to get it), but I'd
>> especially like to get messages from milkwy::23class_semiconductor and
>> ricks::decschips.
>
> Well if they ever show up, I'd be interested :-).
>

> That archive was largely incomplete: it had the message titles but very few of the actual messages. There were some rather harsh negative comments on an FB group when someone pointed to it. Obviously some people thought that when they were writing their original comments that they would be kept private to the 100,000+ Digital employees :-)

The more significant issue may be that DEC, and its successor companies, might have objections to the public posting of company confidential material.

Too bad only a few things were archived.  I looked for myself and found exactly one notesfile ("fddi") with saved content, which made for some fun reading.  But other notesfiles that would actually be more interesting at this stage, like ones about RSTS, aren't archived.

I wonder if anyone has the full archive dump.  If so I'd love to have that.

	paul