Greaseweazle

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Wed Feb 3 12:15:12 CST 2021

On 2/3/21 9:55 AM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:

> In the real world, this is fundamentally wrong.
>
> You need to know you haven't captured garbage while the disk is still in the drive
> and you want to minimize the time you spend dwelling on an individual track.

When you are recovering a batch of hundreds of disks, you want to know before you
start the next disk that either it completely read OK, or had problems. Out of the
thousands of disks I've read, I'd guess maybe 100 were problem children and of those
either they were copy protected, shed themselves, or weren't MFM or FM.

I have cartons of hard-sectored or funny format soft-sectored disks to do that are
of high historical value but were too time-consuming to do anything with while I've
been trying to work down the backlog.