Greaseweazle

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Feb 2 11:20:01 CST 2021

On 2/2/21 7:18 AM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:
> On 2/2/21 6:51 AM, John Foust via cctalk wrote:
>
>> I was quite eager to hear Kossow's insights.
>
> And I'd like to hear what Chuck's workflow and software look like.
> He's had decades more experience than me, but no one complains when
> he just says "throw a microcontroller at it" and walks away.

Uh, I think over the decades, I've contributed a bit, no?  I recently
made my own Catweasel source code public, for example.   I've helped out
the guy with the fluxengine puzzle out a couple of formats, including
the Brother 240K one that few seem to have sussed out.

When I last proposed the STM32F407, I was met with "Oh, but the Blue
Pill is cheaper".  Okay, use the Blue Pill, but my code won't work with
it.  Not once has anyone contacted me and said "I'd like to try my hand
at doing this, what can you tell me?".   I've described the methodology
of using an MCU elsewhere several times.

And then there are 22Disk, Anadisk, Teledisk and specialized drivers of
PC Yore that apparently nobody thinks that I originated.   Anyone want
to know why we sold off Anadisk and Teledisk  20 years ago, along with
our specialized forensics software?  Because we were getting bombarded
with support questions (Sample:  "I have game xxxx, why won't Teledisk
make copies?" and later "Anadisk doesn't run on my USB drive".) while
we'd maybe get a registration every one or two months.    When offered
money for the product rights, we jumped at it. We held onto 22Disk
because there was the most public support for it--and we could sell it
into the industrial PLC community.

If someone really would like to help out, give me some hints on
repairing a Matsushita LF-5010 WORM drive that won't mount a disc.

--Chuck