OT: pints, pounds (Was: APL\360

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Feb 1 14:24:42 CST 2021

On 2/1/21 12:07 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:

> Instead, it just means that British pubs are not as stingy with their
> beer.  And, it doesn't need to be chilled to almost frozen to make it
> drinkable.

No, as I said, it's that Americans (of the US variety) are authentically
English, using the 1588 standard, than their overseas cousins, who use
the Imperial 1824 one.

Simple, that.

Importing the IBM PC 5150 into Europe must have caused a bit of a
kerfuffle.   All of those SAE fasteners--e.g. 6-32 bolt used
extensively.  #6 bolt size with 32 threads per inch.  It wasn't really
until the clone makers got into the picture with their metric hardware.
  The result is that most recent PCs employ a macaronic assortment of
fasteners.

Thank heavens that the Brits didn't come out with the 5150--we might
have had to deal with Whitworth (BSW) fasteners.

--Chuck