OT: pints, pounds (Was: APL\360

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Mon Feb 1 14:07:44 CST 2021

On Mon, 1 Feb 2021, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> Aha! Does that mean a pint of water weighs 1lb?
> Interesting. I did not know.

That is what it MEANS.
But, it's not quite right.  It's off by about 4%.
A US pint of water weighs 1.043 pounds.
One "fluid ounce" (volume) of water weighs 1.043 ounces (weight)!
How much do you suppose a "pint" of ice cream weighs?
And, not all beer has the same specific gravity.  Alcohol is less dense
than water.
And, of course, further variation with temperature and atmospheric
pressure.

And, if you are in England,
"A pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter."

Fortunately, that is NOT a difference in the force of gravity!
Or, at least MOSTLY not.
THAT heavy thought would be difficult to work around.
Despite very minor variances in gravity, Earth is MOSTLY HARMLESS.

Instead, it just means that British pubs are not as stingy with their
beer.  And, it doesn't need to be chilled to almost frozen to make it
drinkable.

I wish that there were a pub open.  But, "The Albatross" (pub in Berkeley)
has closed down. forever.   Can't stay in business with a lockdown.
I can get beer delivered!  Coincidentally, it is Corona beer!

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred