APL\360

dave.g4ugm at gmail.com dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 13:34:39 CST 2021

Typical American statement, where "world" means "United States". Its only a pound in the USA. In the UK it’s 1.25 lbs and even in Canada, before metrication, it was 20floz same as UK.
In many metric countries the old word for a pound, so in German for example "pfund" informally refers to 500 grams, a little more than an American pint and rather less than UK pint...
It gets worse because I understand that in the Caribbean (which as an English man I pronounce differently to the rest of the world) you will find both size pint in use ....

> > I had already assumed that pub prices had inflated to higher than a pound.
>
> It was under £1 for ½litre of beer when I got here. In fact it was under US$1/
> US 1pt. Now it's a bit more.
>
> Cheapest I had was CzK 17 for half a litre. At the time that was about 50¢.
>
> > Such worries call for having a few pints.
>
> It is one of the things I miss most in lockdown. And there's no electricity
> supply in my man-cave/basement so I can't even go down there and play
> with my old computers. :-(
>

> --
> Liam Proven – Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com
> Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn/Flickr: lproven – Skype: liamproven
> UK: +44 7939-087884 – ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

Dave
G4UGM
Still stresssed after talking about mail routing at a USA Microsoft Exchange Conference....