APL\360

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Feb 1 13:25:34 CST 2021

On 2/1/21 11:00 AM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
>> On 2021-02-01 10:59, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
>>> I do not know what a fluid ounce is, or how many are in a pint.
> On Mon, 1 Feb 2021, emanuel stiebler via cctalk wrote:
>> not enough?
>> ;-)
>
> I had always been told, "A pint is a pound, the world around."
> I had already assumed that pub prices had inflated to higher than a pound.

Or for that matter, fluid ounces, of which there are 20 UK ounces to a
UK pint, but only 16 US ounces to a US pint.

It all derives from the 1824 Weights and Measures Act in the UK.  By
that time, the US had elected to stay with the Elizabethan Exchequer
standard (ca. 1588).   It might be argued that, as far as measurement
goes, the US is more authentically English than the UK.

Three barleycorns, dry and round...

--Chuck