APL\360

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 07:15:33 CST 2021

On Mon, 1 Feb 2021 at 10:34, Tor Arntsen via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Some sheep herders in (IIRC) the Caucasus do, or did at least. I
> learned about that some decades ago. Counting sheep on their fingers.
> I use the system sometimes.

Fred Pohl's short story "Digits and Dastards" explains it well.

I used to use it at my fencing club. Matches are normally first to 15
points -- first to 10 if we were busy. I'd keep score on my fingers in
binary, left for one player, right for the other..

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com