IBM cpu tear down

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 10:59:42 CDT 2021

On 2021-04-03 11:11 a.m., Scott Quinn via cctalk wrote:
> On Wed, 2021-03-31 at 21:56 -0700, D. Resor via cctalk wrote:
>> I thought I had seen this before...
>>
>> EEVblog teardown of a ES9000 processor.
>>
>> https://youtu.be/xQ3oJlt4GrI
>>
> Is that a similar package to what the CMOS POWER-2 used? I think I have
> one somewhere but never tore into the MCM package.

BY CMOS POWER-2 are you referring to the processor used in the high end
second generation RS/6000 systems?  If so then no, like the ES9000
module the chips are mounted on a ceramic substrate. But in RS/6000
processor the chips sat in a shallow well in the ceramic.  I seem to
recall that the well is filled with oil and a metal lid bonded to the
edges of the ceramic.  the metal lid was the surface the heat sink was
fastened to with a layer of thermally conductive oil between.  I opened
one up one time but I no linger know where it is.

Paul.