Revived Terak 8510

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 13:03:37 CDT 2020

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 10:57 AM John Foust via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Mine stopped working a decade or so ago.  I have a dozen or so,
> but none are powering up any more.
>
> I seem to remember someone here who'd revived one.  Did it mean
> replacing sockets, replacing caps?

I repaired mine a couple of years back.  The caps on my supplies (both in
the CPU and the external disk unit) were mostly dead at the time (there was
electrolyte leaking out of them, in fact).  Replacing them brought them
back to life.  There was a fair amount of corrosion on the sockets for the
RAM on mine due to the environment it had been stored in, this may not be
the case on yours, but I was unable to make it run reliably until I
replaced them.

- Josh