Exploring early GUIs

Mike Begley spam at hell.org
Sun Sep 20 16:17:47 CDT 2020

There's also the windowing system used on the AT&T 3B1 (AKA Unix PC, AK PC7300), which I think was called MGR.  It may have also been ported to other systems as well.  When I had one of these machines it was adequate, although terribly slow on a 512K system.

There's a writeup, with images, here:
http://toastytech.com/guis/unixpc.html

and apparently an emulator here:
https://www.philpem.me.uk/code/3b1emu

I have a parted-out 7300 in my closet, but I'm not sure I have all the pieces.  Part of me thinks I should dig it out and revive it, part of me thinks I should let sleeping dogs lie...

-mike