Notes on HP3000 WCS Microcode, Series 37 on ebay in Germany

Frank McConnell fmc at reanimators.org
Thu Sep 17 17:51:45 CDT 2020

On Sep 16, 2020, at 13:21, J. David Bryan via cctalk wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 8:19, Lee Courtney via cctech wrote:
>
>> Al - it would be a Very Good Thing to get those APL ROMS dumped when
>> possible.
>
> It would be good as well to dump the Series III main instruction set ROMs,
> assuming they're socketed.  Bitsavers has a Series II microcode listing,
> and there are some notes available on the microcode changes from the II to
> the III, but there is no existing Series III listing.

It is my belief that the Series II microcode listing was a part of the standard manual set that you got with an HP 3000 Series II.  We had one at the high school (where the 3000 started out as a Series II and was upgraded in its chassis to a Series III).  Also that the Series III’s microcode listing was not part of the Series III’s standard manual set.  We didn’t get an update for it at the high school either.

-Frank McConnell