NetWare 5.1 / BorderManager 3.5

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Wed Sep 9 12:41:51 CDT 2020

On 9/9/20 5:08 AM, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> But that's good, isn't it?

Yes and no.

Yes in that it's below the problem point.  :-)

No in that I don't have the necessary Support Pack's to install.  :-(

> I confess I may have misread your original message as being "I need
> NW5.1 with no SPs." Was that wrong?

It might have been an ambiguity on my part.

I've learned a little bit since my last message.

I seem to have NetWare 5.1 (SP 0) for both "Domestic" (128-bit) and
"Exportable" (56-bit).  But there is a catch.

The exportable version is part of Novell Small Business Suite 5.1, which
seems to be a superset of NetWare 5.1.  I don't yet know if I can bust
it down to be a more standard NetWare 5.1 without all the other unwanted
NSBS stuff.

I did learn that NSBS 5.1 is the "Exportable" (56-bit) version and that
it comes with Exportable NetWare 5.1 Support Pack 1 as an install able
option on another disk.

Said Exportable NetWare 5.1 Support Pack 1 will install on NSBS 5.1.
But given that it's the "Exportable" (56-bit) version, it won't install
on standard "Domestic" (128-bit) NetWare 5.1.  That being said, I don't
really care about the 56-bit vs 128-bit.  I just want stock NetWare 5.1
without all the NSBS 5.1 ... features.  I'll install just the few
features that I want.

Aside:  NSBS 5.1 includes ZENworks (Starter?) and some other things that
are above and beyond stock NetWare.  I don't want those ... features
yet.  I want to learn more about stock NetWare 5.1.

> But if you have SP0, no bugfixes, then surely you can just install
> the SPs on top of it to get to whatever level you want?

The only Support Pack that I've been able to find thus far is Exportable
NetWare 5.1 Support Pack 1.  I've not yet been able to locate any other
support packs.

Well, I guess I can still get SP7 and SP8 from Novell's Patch Download.
But that's beyond what works with what I'm testing with Border Manager 3.5

It's a weird nitch that I'm trying to fit in.  Early Domestic (128-bit)
NetWare with Support Pack > 0 and < 7.

> My $DAYJOB was part of Novell until about a year ago. I _may_ be able
> to find internal download links still but I am not confident. Want
> me to start asking around? I may need some fairly specific info as
> there are few Netware folk left now. E.g. how many separate SPs did
> NW5.1 get?  Do you need both US and ROW versions?

I would be very interested in contacting someone at Novell ~> Micro
Focus about acquiring copies of what was freely downloadable ~20 years ago.

I did take a swing (and apparently a miss) to contact someone at Micro
Focus a year or so ago.  But that never went anywhere.  But I'm not
surprised that a generic web contact us form didn't yield anything.

Please ask questions that you need ~> want more information about, be it
here or directly off list (your choice).

> Oh dear...

Ya....  I'm not surprised.  But it is making things ... tricky ...
entertaining.

> TBH I have a suspicion nobody may have kept stuff like that, even
> inside Novell... :(

Ya.  That seems to be the way that a LOT of things have gone in the
industry.  It's hobbyists like myself that tend to be archiving this
stuff.  I'm just 15-25 years too late.

I'm going through my NetWare disks (5.1 ~> 5.x ~> x.x) and getting a
better handle on what version / language(s) / encryption they are.

Thank you for your time Liam.  I appreciate your input and help.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die