Spam

Peter Coghlan PETER at beyondthepale.ie
Tue Sep 1 03:01:09 CDT 2020

Paul Koning wrote:
> > On Aug 31, 2020, at 6:55 PM, Peter Coghlan via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> >
> > Anybody else on cctech/cctalk receive a blatant spam today from an outfit
> > called "SparkPost" with "OptIn Live" in the subject?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Peter Coghlan.
>
> Nope.
>
> Keep in mind that criminals often forge source addresses.  So while it may
> say it came from cctalk, it doesn't mean it actually did.  Looking at the
> full headers will often tell you, if you care to go to the trouble.

The spam I got did not come from cctalk.  I didn't say it came from cctalk,
I said it came from an outfit called "SparkPost".  I asked if anyone else
on cctalk received the same spam because I am attempting to figure out
how SparkPost obtained the email address that I use only for cctalk.

>From the responses received, it appears that other cctalk list members did
not receive the same spam.  This reduces the likelyhood that someone has
subscribed to cctalk specifically to harvest the email addresses of the
list members, a possibility which was advanced on this list a while back.

> For example, I get spam every few weeks claiming to be from one specific
> person on the list here, but it never actually is from that address.

Same here except that it is in regard of the freecycle mailing list rather
than cctalk.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.