non-shunting jumpers?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Oct 22 15:12:59 CDT 2020

> On Oct 22, 2020, at 3:27 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 10/22/20 12:14 PM, Vincent Slyngstad via cctalk wrote:
>
>> I'd worry that not just the jumper pins can be shorted, and whether what
>> was really needed was a proper enclosure.  If not, then what I'd do is
>> probably to go to my favorite vendor for RasPi/Arduino junk (AdaFruit,
>> perhaps).  I'd buy an assortment of shrouds, of the sort they use to
>> build their cables (which fit over header pins like these) -- the
>> assortment is by far the cheapest way I know to obtain them.  Then I'd
>> buy the crimp pins that go inside, and insert them without wires.  If I
>> was super paranoid, I'd use my flush cutters to trim off a bit of the
>> area meant to crimp the insulation, so that no metal was near the top
>> when I put my connector on the header.
>

> I don't know if it's applicable, but I use hunks of extruded polystyrene
> insulating foam to protect the pins on my wire-wrapped projects.

Not a good idea with ESD sensitive electronics.  You could use antistatic foam, though.  Its resistance is high enough that electronics won't notice its presence.

A variation on the connector idea: use an insulation-displacement type connector (the kind that you mount onto a flat cable assembly) without the cable.  Just snap on the cover over the i-d pins and you have a fully insulated assembly with the pins acting as spring clamps for the jumper pins.

	paul