FYI sunhelp.org down

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Wed Oct 14 20:43:44 CDT 2020

On 10/14/20 4:08 AM, Maciej W. Rozycki via cctalk wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> I posted to <rescue at sunhelp.org> and saw my message got stuck in
> the mail queue.

When did you send your message?  I'm trying to judge when the problem
started.

> Upon a further inspection I saw that the domain has expired along with
> `mrbill.net' where the nameservers used to reside and both have been
> taken by someone else, taking the name service down for `sunhelp.org'.

Eh ... sunhelp.org doesn't expire for a couple of years yet.  The
problem is that it uses mrbill.net for DNS, which did expire and seems
to have been taken over by undesirables.

> I can still reach Bill Bradford's personal page when I connect to
> the server by its IPv4 address at: <http://184.94.207.190/>.

Thanks to John's quick thinking, it's now possible to hot wire things so
that you can get to sunhelp.org, et al.

The hot wiring that I did seems to have been sufficient to allow email
to flow to sunhelp.org.  I've since sent a message to a few people
inquiring about the current state of the ongoing rescue operation.

The last I knew, some of Bill's co-workers were going to take things over.

If anyone cares to similarly hot wire things on their end, I configured
my recursive DNS servers to forward Bill's domains to John K.'s DNS
server (192.80.49.4).  I also configured my email server to route
sunhelp.org directly to ohno.mrbill.net.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die