cc:Mail

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Wed Oct 7 19:13:22 CDT 2020

On 10/7/20 2:10 PM, Tomas By wrote:
> Well, we are talking past each other. When I say client/server I
> mean the connection over serial port/modem between the mobile client,
> not on the same LAN as the PO, and the PO.

You've piqued my interest.

I've done some more reading on cc:Mail.  It seems that you're talking
about cc:Mail /Mobile/, and not cc:Mail (proper).  It seems as if
cc:Mail /Mobile/ is an add-on product meant to allow mobile users access
a cc:Mail Post Office.

There is a more true client / server version of cc:Mail, but it was
apparently named cc:Guardian.

There were also the SMTP, POP3, and IMAP gateways for cc:Mail Post
Offices.  Per the Readme.1st file on the cc:Mail 8.1 CD-ROM that I'm
looking at:

  - cc:Mail IMAP Server
  - cc:Mail POP3 Server
  - cc:Mail Link to SMTP
  - cc:Mail Mobile

Among many other things.

Also, per the Readme.1st file, cc:Mail 8.1, including it's cc:Mail
/Mobile/ add-on used a Post Office directory structure.

Some of the reading that I did today indicated that even cc:Mail Mobile
used a Post Office.  It's just that it was a local single person Post
Office and that cc:Mail Mobile did some sort of undefined communications
over the modem connection.  As such, I'm guessing that this cc:Mail
Mobile communications protocol is quite proprietary.  Wikipedia's
cc:Mail article indicates that cc:Mail Remote was developed for a few HP
*LX devices.

If the cc:Mail that you have on your device is the cc:Mail Mobile or
Remote that is meant to connect to cc:Mail Mobile in the central office,
then I think I may have a solution for you.

Fetchmail -> cc:Mail SMTP -> Internet SMTP server
                    ^

               cc:Mail PO
                    ^

             cc:Mail Mobile
                    ^
                    :
                    :
                    :
             cc:Mail Remote

I think that the top three lines could likely run one system.

Do you think this might do what you are wanting to do?  After all, it
seems like it's cc:Mail's answer to your question.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die