cc:Mail

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Wed Oct 7 14:57:28 CDT 2020

On 10/7/20 1:46 PM, Tomas By wrote:
> Well, theoretically, you could have another program that emulates
> the PO server side.

I think that we have different understandings of what the Post Office is
in older email systems.

To me, the Post Office, is a collection of files that live in a
directory structure.  Said file / directory structure is then directly
accessed by the email client.  As in the email client reads from and
writes to files, meaning that it does not talk to a program / daemon /
service across the network.  It's just that this collection of files &
directories lived on a common network drive.

> It does not need to anything other than get the mails and talk to
> the client

But, based on my understanding, the cc:Mail client doesn't talk to a
server.  It reads / writes files directly.  Hence the need to have
something else, e.g. the gateway, communicate between the P.O. and the
rest of the world.

I don't see how you can avoid the P.O.'s file / directory structure.

Maybe I'm wrong.

> (over PC serial port).

Hum.  That make make things more entertaining.

Is the serial port for communications between the cc:Mail client and the
cc:Mail P.O.?  Or is the serial port how you will need <what ever> to
interface with the rest of the world?

> My understanding is that the SMTP gateway is out from PO only.

I don't know.  The MS-Mail SMTP gateway that I messed with was both
inbound from the world and outbound to the world.  But the cc:Mail
gateway could easily have been different.  Of course, SMTP is not the
same thing as pulling from POP3 or IMAP.  But, fortunately fetchmail (et
al.) can act as the gateway between POP3/IMAP and SMTP to talk to
another gateway between SMTP and cc:Mail P.O.

Moving parts (read: things that can go wrong), there are a lot of them.  ;-)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die