cc:Mail

Tomas By tomas at basun.net
Wed Oct 7 14:17:31 CDT 2020

On Wed, 07 Oct 2020 20:55:23 +0200, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:
> Translation / regurgitation:  You're wondering about the possibility
> of connecting a cc:Mail Post Office to the Internet email
> (SMTP/POP3/IMAP) ecosystem somehow.  Is that correct?

Well, in theory it could possibly be directly between 200LX and
Internet, without any PO, but realistically: yes.

It's been a while now, but one cc:Mail PO version I tried had an SMTP
add-on for sending mail, and also, I believe, POP/IMAP for dial-up,
i.e. acting as a server using those protocols.

What I believe I am looking for is a POP/IMAP client side, to run
on/with the cc:Mail PO, getting mails from Internet to cc:Mail.

> I don't know that I've ever seen, or realized, that there was a
> utility that would retrieve email from a provider via POP3 / IMAP and
> inject it into cc:Mail.  But my ignorance thereof does not preclude
> it's existence.

Right.

But there were bridges, apparently, so they must have done it?

> I'll take a look in my pile of Lotus disks.  (I have an unhealthy
> interest in old networking / email / collaboration technologies.)
>
> I think that I have a few different /Lotus/ things that interface with
> cc:Mail.  I also think that I have some non-Lotus things that will
> also interface with cc:Mail; e.g. Microsoft Exchange and / or Novell
> GroupWise.  I expect that amongst the various plastic coasters that I
> have, possibly combined with other utilities, there is a way to get
> Internet email into and out of your Unix cc:Mail client.

Sounds good.

On Wed, 07 Oct 2020 20:58:32 +0200, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:
> On 10/7/20 8:45 AM, Tomas By via cctalk wrote:
> > the cc:Mail PO would need to periodically (ie constantly) check for
> > new mail from the provider, and collect it.
>
> /Something/ needs to periodically check for new mail from the
> provider. I don't think that it needs to necessarily be the cc:Mail
> PO.

No, it can be separate.

> Something like fetchmail can periodically poll and collect email.

So getting the mail from fetchmail into cc:Mail should be possible
with the Lotus dev stuff?

> You can probably also configure an SMTP gateway and use regular mail
> routing (possibly via forwarding) to push email into the system.

If by system you mean cc:Mail then I do not really see how this works.

/Tomas