cc:Mail

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Wed Oct 7 11:05:19 CDT 2020

Oh this brings back memories. Back in the 1980's I worked with
Westinghouse/IRD and we used CC:Mail. When we partnered with Macro
systems we tied the two together using a CC:Mail gateway package that
ran over dialup modems.

Moving into the 90's, the IEEE Computer Society was on CC:Mail in 1994
when I got there. We tied it to the Internet using a CC:Mail gateway on
DOS *and* a CC:Mail to SMTP gateway application. Both had to be running
and yes, the CC:Mail SMTP gateway had a lot of cruft pile up on it. It
also locked up a LOT.

In order to make the thing useful we ran it on OS/2 pre warp. That made
it a lot more stable and I was able to script a process to restart the
window when it crashed. Allowed me to sleep at night. But the main fail
in CC:Mail was that the mail database could only be 2gb in size and it
corrupted a LOT.

1995 or so we put in Lotus Notes mail and migrated the CC:Mail database
to it. Infinitely more reliable, ran on OS/2 3.0 very well as a server,
and as a side project I coded Notes Script into what became probably the
first end user identity system on the internet (E-Accounts) which
allowed us to roll out E-Aliases, member renewal by internet using our
home-made credit card system, online registrations for Supercomputing/95
and the CS Digital Library in 1996 (I built that too).

All because I was (a) Bored and (b) Lazy. Amazing times, but Lotus Notes
was damn near indestructible. Never lost an email message.

I should really write that history down sometime and somewhere. In the
early 1990's IEEE lost their mind and for a few brief years (up to 2000)
we at the Computer Society were free to innovate and really built some
amazing things. Then the IEEE got their stuff together and smushed it....

Ah well.
CZ